7 Backpacking Tips For Beginners6 minute
7 things to keep in mind for beginner backpackers
Nowadays, good old fashioned traveling is over; the ones where we used to make our travel destination feel like a second home. Packing everything so we would not miss home. These days backpacking is the new trending travel concept. Here, we just grab our bags and pack our essential things and explore the wilderness. If you are a beginner backpacker then there is going to be a lot of confusion on how to approach this. But don’t worry, I am here to give 7 essential tipsto keep in mind if you ever decide to go backpacking:
- Start with your backpack- Buy a backpack that fits your size perfectly, one that you can carry easily. Try a few and buy the one you are most comfortable with. Things like shoulder straps should be adjustable and the hip strap should come up to your hip. You should be able to lift it when it is full. My suggestion is to buy a rucksack with good back support. This will help you walk comfortably.
- Essential things to pack- Here are some essential things you should pack for sure because you will need them at some point of time. Things like a first aid kit, bug protection, and a Swiss army knife can be helpful in tricky situations. You must also carry lip balm, sunscreen, and sunglasses. Pack a flashlight with an extra pair of batteries. If you are going to a remote place then you must also keep a GPS device and some fire starting material with you.
- Proper footwear- Investing in good footwear is always a good idea. It is a key part of your backpacking because most of your journey will be on foot. You could either go with a leather hiking shoe or any durable lightweight shoe. Keep socks according to the temperature of the place you are going to. Do not take newly bought shoes. First, use them for a few days or they might be problematic to adjust to in tough terrains.
- Pack light- Pack according to the adventure you want. Do you want to hike just for a few miles and then spend majority of your time at the camping site or do you want to go deep into mountain ranges and jungles? Always keep an extra pair of clothes since you may encounter an unexpected rainfall. Pack your bag in such a way that you would not have a hard time finding your things. Because in such a situation you can get frustrated. So pack in an organized way.
- Prepare yourself in advance- Backpacking is always easy and fun. But if you are a beginner then it might feel difficult. It is not like your old fashioned travel. So you need to be prepared for it - physically and mentally. Start jogging one month before you are planning to go on a backpacking trip(/trek). You can try some shoulder and back exercises. Don’t forget to do some cardio. It will be helpful in rough terrain. If you are a smoker then either quit or reduce it to a minimum. Always remember that it is not a race so take it slow and steady.
- Start with an easy one- As a beginner backpacker, always start with an easy hike. Try going out for a weekend getaway. So you can learn as well as adjust to this new kind of adventure. In the first go, choose a destination with an easy terrain with less steep ascends and descends. Do not go to a remote place in the beginning. Always ask your local guide as many questions as you want. Do not stop until you are satisfied. So next time you can do it on your own.
- Be prepared for changes- Backpacking is always very unpredictable. It is not like your ordinary travel itinerary. So be ready to accept any change and be quick to adapt to those changes. Research about the area you are going to, because some areas might have extreme changes in weather so you should be ready to endure them. Sometimes, local people might not be very welcoming as you might expect them to so be ready for any kind of change and adapt accordingly.
You are officially ready to go on your first backpacking adventure. Just keep the above discussed tips in mind and you will have a wonderful backpacking experience!
If you want to add any more tips, feel free to share them in the comments section below.
Solo Travel For Women - 9 Important Tips4 minute
The year 2019 has been a good year for Indian woman travelers. There has been an increase in the number of female solo travelers in India. It is the saying of the old days that it is impossible for Indian women to travel alone. But Indian women are breaking that stigma and they are breaking it with style. No doubt that there will be too much pressure from family and society. You will be judged numerous times. But never let them pull your leg. And you have the potential to rise and shine.
If you are tired of traveling with family and friends and want to explore the horizons by yourself. Then no need to worry, I have 9 key essential things which you can keep in mind if you want to go on solo travel. And you will have experience and memories that will last a lifetime. So pack your bags and be ready to rock and roll.
- Do your research- It is always important to research the place you are traveling. Gather information regarding the demography of the place. Culture and safety of that region. If you are traveling abroad then find out the visa and exchange rate information. Do not make it too complex, but try to have information about basic things. It will come in handy.
- Pack light- always pack light. Because it will help you stay charged and you can move easily. You might get in different kinds of terrains, so if you will pack light then you will avoid a lot of trouble. Pack only necessary items. Few clothes according to the weather of the place. And you are good to go. Always keep an extra pair of pads if you are expecting your periods. If you are on any particular medication then always keep the stock because you might not be able to find it where you are going.
- Plan your first day- Always try to reach your destination at noon only. Then you will have the whole night to rest and you will start your next day will a whole level of new energy. If your accommodation is far from the airport or railway station then it might be a problem at night to reach the hotel. So it is always good to reach your destination at noontime itself.
- Share your itinerary with someone you trust- Always keep one trusted friend or family member in the loop when you are traveling alone. Keep them informed about the details of your stay and transportation. In case you will land in any kind of trouble. It will be easy for them to track you down. Also, stay in touch with social media, keep updating your travel journey. This way your well-wishers would know that you are safe and sound.
- Blend in- research about the place you are visiting and try to blend in their culture. Act as you are local this way you will not draw too much attention. Try local things like clothes. Shop and eat at local markets.
- Travel during the daytime if possible- if you are going from one place to another place and if it is long hours journey. Then try to do it during the daytime. Because in the night time, you will be more prone to any incident. Never hitchhike during night time. Even during the daytime hitchhike if that particular region is said to be safe for girls.
- Keep an eye out for your belongings- Always keep your important belongings like phone, wallet, camera, passport in a secure place. Keep an extra copy of your documents with your trusted contact. In crowded places, do not keep it in your general bags or too much exposed. Like, keep these things in the middle pocket of the bag so there will be less chance of pick pocketing. Only take out these things when necessary. Keep your camera strapped to your shoulder or hands.
Trust your instinct- If you ever feel like something is weird about the specific place. Or you feel threatened by a certain person. Then get out of there immediately. Because it is better to be presumptive then regret it later. Because when you are traveling alone, safety is most important because you will not have any immediate backup. So whenever you feel something is fishy then get out there immediately.
- Always be open to changes- You should always keep one thing in mind that travel doesn't always go as planned. You might face sudden changes in your accommodation or transportation. Do not panic in such moments and analyze the situation calmly. Keep your safety on the top.
So solo travel is not difficult, that you hear from your family and friends. In solo travel, you learn and explore a lot. You have the command at your hand. This also brings the best in you. So stay aware and stay safe and keep exploring.
Trekking For Beginners - All You Need To Know6 minute
Trekking is the new craze among millennials. If you have ever been on a walk in the morning, you see how refreshing it is for the rest of the day. Now imagine you are walking in the exotic Himalayan mountain or mystic rain forests of Kerala, or the sensual beauty of the seven sisters in the northeast. Now you can feel how much energy boost you will get and an excellent chance to connect with nature as well as you.
So trekking is basically to go on an adventurous journey typically on foot. Sounds interesting, doesn’t it? Sometimes it is essential to get away from our hectic life, to discover a new dimension of nature. It works like magic for most of us, and it recharges and prepares you to come back to your busy lifestyle again and fight it with a whole new level of energy.
So, if you have you been planning to go on an adventure to hike to trek, Then you have come to the right place, and I am here to guide you through it and prepare you mentally for this incredible journey which you will encounter.
But first, let’s discuss the basics of trekking. You should at least know what you are getting into. So that you can choose what to try for a beginner, let me tell you what are the types of trekking so you can evaluate how much preparation you will need.
Types of trekking
Trekking is a very generic word for the type of trekking. There are three types of a trek, i.e. easy, moderate and hard one.
Easy trek- Generally an easy trek involves about a couple of days and with easy terrain. It mostly includes a stretch of 5 to 6 kilometers a day. A good example will be Ooty Katagiri, which can stretch over a weekend.
Moderate Trek- This type of trek needs a certain level of stamina as it includes some days walking in more tough terrain. You might get steep ascend as well as descend. It brings more challenges for the trekker. An excellent example for such trek is the Hampta Pass trek in the Pir Panjal range.
Hard Trek- Such treks mostly stretch for a week, and it is the most difficult one as this type of trek requires physical stamina as well as mental stamina. It involves deep valleys and high altitude (15000 feet and above). The trek to Everest Base Camp which reaches up to a height of more than 17, 500 feet is one such trek.
Preparing yourself for trekking
There most important thing which you need to prepare before going on a trek is building stamina. To prepare yourself for trekking, start walking one month before going on a trek. It will strengthen your leg muscles so you will not get cramps often. If you are a smoker, then it is time to quit smoking right away as it will be a huge help. Because when you go on a high altitude, then your lungs need to be at its prime to inhale proper oxygen. Because if you do not do so, then you will suffer from loss of breath and it will be difficult to keep up with the group, and you will become a burden on the group. I am telling this to you from my own experience, so time to say bye-bye to smoking.
These are a few things you can include in your daily life to prepare yourself.
- Walk 4 to 5 kilometers a day. And some cardio as well.
- If you go to the gym, then include some shoulder and back exercises to make them strong as you will be carrying a backpack.
- You can try skipping to train your leg as it helped me personally.
- Try breathing exercise- inhale and exhale. Minimum 10 minutes a day, it will prepare your lungs.
Things to carry while going on a trek
This is a tricky part because most people get confused about what should they carry on a trek because it is not like a typical vacation which you plan. Because you might have to carry some of the things while you are trekking(depending on your trek). So don’t worry, I am here to help you with the list of things you should carry with you.
- Good rucksack with back support.
- Tent and sleeping bags (depending on the temperature range of the place).
- Layered clothes as in the mountains temperature flux are unpredictable. So pack light as well as a heavy jacket and a raincoat. Because in mountains rainfall is a usual occurrence.
- Shoes- Invest in good trekking shoes because it will protect your foot in the harsh terrain. You wouldn’t want to have cuts or rashes on foot as it will be difficult for you to walk.
- Full track pants to protect from unnecessary scratches and insect bites.
- Water bottles- 2 liters bottle will be fine as you will need to keep hydrating yourself.
- Flashlight with extra pair of batteries.
- Camera or cell phone to capture your beautiful moments.
- You can carry a Swiss knife as it will be helpful in tricky situations.
- Sun-glass and sunscreen and a hat.
- Sanitizer, tissue paper and wet wipes ( or you will have to use tree leaves which I will strongly advise not to use from my personal experience.)especially because you need to save drinking water because you will not get a toilet up there.
- Medicines- if you have any essential medication, carry it with you. You can also keep paracetamol and cetirizine for cold or flu.
- First aid kit- If you are with a group, then they will have a first aid kit, or you can also carry some bandage and cotton. Also, bring moov or volini spray in case you will hurt yourself accidentally.
- Food- chocolate and energy bars you can carry for quick energy. You can also carry dry fruits, glucon-d and biscuits.
Some basic hacks to keep in mind
While you are on the trail, these hacks can help you manage yourself well as it has helped me so far-
- Always pack light- Always pack light as you will be carrying these things with you so organise yourself well and take only essential things. Just pack a couple of pairs of clothes and quick to dry clothes will be better.
- Distribute the loads among your fellow trekkers.
- Carry a length of sturdy rope and swiss knife as it will help you in a tricky situation.
- Carry a stick as it will help you walking and will keep you balanced.
- Always drink water in small quantities always try to keep your mouth wet. Or you might start developing shortness of breath and chest pain.
- You can also pack some packed games or a football or volleyball to enjoy your camping site.
- Do not litter- always carry plastic or carry bag with you and keep your garbage in it because the ecosystem up there is very delicate, and it is our responsibility to keep it clean. Because we will be responsible if the next generation will not be able to see the beauty we are experiencing.
- And some extra cash as it will help you in need.
- Always ask questions to your local guide feel. Proceed ahead only if you are satisfied and clear. It will help you understand the demography and culture in that area. Always keep an open mind, never judge.
- Always avoid any clashes with the locals as you will have a disadvantage in their area. My experience says people are friendly but keep in mind if something happens.
So keep these things in mind, and I believe that you will come back with a rich and loads of lifetime of memories. As a beginner, choose an easy trek to start. Ask many questions to your guide. My last advice will that do not think of it as a race grasp the nature and enjoy it. Sometimes just sit and stare at those valleys. Take it slow and steady, and nature will embrace you with open arms and will take you in a trance. Happy trekking.
11 Amazing Dessert places in Namma Bengaluru5 minute
How many of us don’t like desserts? Well… none because we love them. I mean who couldn’t fall in love with something that gives you amazing food-gasms. Most of us have a sweet tooth and are constantly in search of a place to satisfy these cravings, so here we are with 13 best places that serve you yummi-licious desserts. Statutory warning: you might end up licking your fingers.
- Belgyum –
Belgyum is a waffle place that has two outlets, one in Whitefield and another in Koramangala. This place is famous for its delicious waffles and drinks. The ambience is great, the place is not that big but it sure is enough to fulfil your cravings. All the parents out there who are tired of their children whining about chocolates and ice-creams, this is the place for you. The best sellers in the menu are the Belgium waffles, Nutella waffles, Cappuccino and Hot chocolate.
Price- Rs.400 for two
- Milano Ice-cream –
Gelato rings a lot of bells, doesn’t it? The very beautiful Italy, the place from where gelato originated. Milano has its outlets at Indiranagar and Jayanagar. It aims at bringing the true taste of Italy, and it definitely stands out in its own way. With a wide range of flavours to choose from with and the fancy popsicles that look amazingly tempting. The ice-cream sandwiches, cheesecakes and obviously the gelato is to die for. This place is a must try for all the gelato lovers out there, because hands down this is the best place serving gelato in Bangalore.
Price- Rs. 400 for two
- Art of Delight –
We all know how delightful this place is. Art of delight has many outlets, but the residency outlet in one of their best. The ambience is lovely with a cute décor. There are a lot of college students who usually hang out at this place. The bestsellers here are the waffles, Nutella Cheesecake, Chocolate Sundae, Masala Chai and the Mango ice-cream. The Sundae options are a must try because there is nothing like too much chocolate, we all love chocolate…don’t we?
Price- Rs.400 for two
- Dolci –
Dolci is a cute café that is placed at Vasanth Nagar and has a refreshing décor. This place is a bit expensive compared to the other places within the area, but it is worth paying so much and getting a wonderful delight and a happy belly at the end. The most liked desserts here are Cheesecakes, Tiramisu and Éclair. They also have a really good menu when it comes to pastas and pizzas as well.
Price- Rs.750 for two
- Haagen Daz –
When you go to a mall, you will definitely find a Haagen Daz there, and when you find it there you should definitely go and try out their amazing desserts. Haagen Daz is quite expensive, but again the quality of their desserts and ice-creams are really good. We can find Haagen Daz outlets in Forum Mall- Koramangala, Orion mall- Rajajinagar or Phoenix Market City- Mahadevapura. Belgium Chocolate, waffles, chocolate sundae and chocolate bomb are one of the favourite desserts of Haagen Daz.
Price- Rs.800 for two
Rating- 4.0/ 5
- Smoor –
Smoor has one of the best chocolates in town, it has a very classy décor and a lovely ambience. If there’s anyone out there who wants to taste really succulent and dense chocolates and pastries, this is the place with you. Smoor right now is located in Indiranagar as well as Church Street. The place serves the best chocolate pastries, macaroons, cheesecakes, coffee and cakes. We definitely recommend you to try out this place, the prices are slightly on the higher side but their desserts are worth spending so much on.
Price- Rs.900 for two
- Marzipan Café and Bakery –
Unlike the other café’s, this café is quite spacious and is located at Ulsoor road. They specialize in Mediterranean and Greek cuisine. It has a very cozy ambience and a great decor. As soon as you enter the place, you can smell the lovely desserts and coffee. Hot Chocolate and Moussaka are must haves, other than that coffee, cheesecakes and pasta are also one of the bestsellers.
Price- Rs.900 for two
- Lazy Suzy –
This place gives you a wanderlust feel, with the quirky blue interiors and fancy decors all around the place. This place is at Indiranagar and looks lovely from outside. The desserts are great here, but they also have really good breakfast options to check out. It is one of the best cafes in Indiranagar and their pancakes and hazelnut hot chocolate take you to a completely different world. The place is expensive, make sure you go in with an empty tummy and pockets full.
Price- Rs.1000 for two
- Glen’s Bakehouse –
This place does ring a lot of bells, Glen’s is very famous for their desserts especially their red velvet cupcakes. As soon as you take your first bite, the cupcake just melts in your mouth, you fall in love with them and definitely come back for more. Other than this, their macaroons and cheesecakes are a must try. They have their outlets in Indiranagar, Koramangala, Whitefield and Lavelle’s road. As soon as you enter Glen’s, you get a very warm feeling and the ambience of the place is amazing that you cannot resist going back there consistently.
Price- Rs.600 for two
- Stoner –
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ICE-CREAM! Stoner is one such place that serves really good flavours of ice-cream and have you going gaga over their sundae collections. They are also famous for inventing the Bira Blast, that is made from Bira and vanilla ice-cream. Their Tiramisu ice- cream and Ferrero Rocher ice-cream are the best sellers. Pizza, waffles and caramel custard also tops their list. The ambience is good, overall, it’s a great place for ice-cream lovers. They have their outlets in Indiranagar, Koramangala and Whitefield.
Price- Rs.500 for two
- Corner house –
Corner house is one of the most famous ice-cream spots in Bangalore, it has been there since 1982. It is one of the oldest and most loved places when it comes to ice-creams. They have their outlets in various places in and around Bangalore. If you ever go to Corner House, the first thing that ever comes to your mind is the signature DBC. Death By Chocolate has been a number 1 ice-cream and Bengaluru’s favourite. The ambience of the place is good, you can smell their chocolate sauce right from when you enter inside the place. The other bestsellers on the house are Hot Chocolate Fudge, Almond Fudge, Banana Split and Brownie Fudge.
Price- Rs.350 for two
These are some of the places that we loved for their amazing and mouth-watering desserts, if you know any other place like this or had a wonderful experience just like us? Then do write in the comment section below and keep loving us!